With the weekend of Memorial Day approaching, let us remember all of the departed from this life, their names and their deeds, and let us rededicate ourselves to work for peace and good will and love among all people.
Sunday, May 28 Father Marko will be blessing graves at our Holy Cross Cemetery at St. Sava Church.
Monday, May 29 Father Marko will be blessing graves at Calumet Park Cemetery in Merrillville and Oak Hill Cemetery in Gary. The complete list of times is available below.
In these days when so much is said about the high cost of living, it is fitting to pause on Memorial Day and acknowledge the great price that thousands of others have paid that we might live in this land of freedom, the United States of America.
Memorial Day came as a result of Civil War. This was America’s greatest war – in the lives that were lost, in the issues and principles at stake, in the fact that it was fought on American soil, and in the results that have come from it. American Land flowed red with blood in this terrible conflict. It was fitting that a solemn day of memory be set aside for such a conflict as that.
Just as the Jewish people have their feast of Passover to remind them of their freedom from Egyptian bondage, so America has its Memorial Day to remind us of the Salvation and rebirth of the United States as a free nation.
Since that time, Memorial Day has become a national holiday to honor the dead of all wars. Even more, it has become a day in which fitting remembrance is made of all of our relatives, kumovi and friends who rest in peace.
On this Memorial Day Weekend, let us remember all of the departed from this life, their names and their deeds, and let us rededicate ourselves to work for peace and good will and love among all people.
Memorial Day Weekend May 27-29, 2023
Services offered by Saint Sava Church at the following locations:
Saturday, May 27:
- 9:00 a.m. – Memorial Service and blessing of graves at the Graceland Cemetery in Valparaiso
- 11:00 a.m. – Memorial Service and blessing of graves at the Angel Crest Cemetery in Valparaiso
Sunday, May 28:
- Memorial Service and blessing of graves at the Holy Cross Cemetery (at Saint Sava Church) immediately after Holy Liturgy (approximately 12:00 p.m.)
Monday, May 29:
- 10:00 a.m. – Memorial Service and blessing of graves at the Calumet Park Cemetery in Merrillville
- 1:00 p.m. – Memorial Service and blessing of graves at the Oak Hill Cemetery in Gary