St. Sava Sunday School President Olivera Lela Jensen expressed appreciation to all those attending the St. Sava Day Celebration at St. Sava Church in Merrillville, Indiana and noted continuing support of the Sunday school is greatly appreciated. As we all know the children are the future of St. Sava.
Kumovi of today’s Slava Celebration were Savka, Mila and Mihailo Popovic, all youth from St. Sava Church who are active in may programs at the church.
The program began with a poem titled “Rastko” by Savka Popovic. Srbadija Folklore performed traditional dances and children of Sunday School and the St. Sava Children’s Choir performed songs including Svetom Savi, God Bless America, Ajde Kato, U Milice Dige Trepavice, Sveti Sava, and Srpkinjica Jeda Mala.
Between songs groups of school children recited poems from memory they have been practicing for weeks.
An adaptation of the play “Rastko Becomes Sava” was also performed. The St. Sava Day Program was made possible through the efforts of many people throughout St. Sava Church.
Danica Pejnovic, newly elected Executive Board President of St. Sava Church, also addressed the audience.
Sunday School Board
- Olivera Lela Jensen, President
- Vesna Radjenovich, 1st Vice President
- Snezana Latinovic, 2nd Vice President
- Sandy Shinovich, Secretary
- Gina Orlich, Treasurer
- Protinica Vesna Matic, Superintendent
Sunday School Teachers
- Preschool – Ursula Brboric & Nevena Djurdjevic
- K & 1st – Gina Orlich, Alexis Orlich & Jelena Djurdjevic
- 2nd & 3rd – Sandy Shinovich & Biljana Vrbica
- 4th & 5th – Ljubica Popovic & Betsy Kirby
- 6, 7 & 8th – Susan Labovic, P. Vesna Matic & Sandra Serdar
Special Support and Appreciation
- Fr. Marko & Fr. Bogdan for your spiritual guidance
- Ivana Stankovic our Musical Director
- Karageorge Choir for your responses
- Karen Knezic & Srbadija Folklore
- Melanie & Nick Sever for the Children’s treat bags
- Sincere thanks to our wonderful cooks, photographers & bartenders
- Parents, grandparents, Kumovi and friends for all of your hard work and dedication in bringing the children to Church & Sunday school.