With the blessing of his Grace Vladika Longin the Federation of Serbian Sisters Circles, in charge of operating the camps at the monastery in the name of the Diocese of New Gracanica and Midwestern America, announces camp registration for summer 2016.
There are four, separate, week-long summer camps suitable for specific grades and ages that will begin June 26, 2016. Applications will be due before May 23, 2016 and pre-registration will be due before May 6, 2016.
- Week 1 – June 26 through July 2
- Week 2 – July 3 through July July 9
- Week 3 – July 10 through July 16
- Week 4 – July 17 through July 23
Refer to the website www.campgracanica.com for the specific grades/ages, most up-to-date information, download application forms, and learn contact information for camp representatives.
About Summer Camp at Gracanica Monastery
Campers enjoy good meals, religious lessons, arts and crafts activities, Serbian language sessions, church services, and music as they live in the dormitories at the monastery during the camp. In addition there are special treats like the picnic, Great America excursion, Candlelight dinner, talent show and guest speakers.
The Federation of Serbian Sisters Circles operates the camps in the name of the Diocese. The Midwest Region Kolo maintains the Camp at New Gracanica. Through a Camp Committee, the Sisters upgrade the facilities, coordinate the staff and plan the camp season. They also care for the children as if they were their own.
Modern Camp facilities are located in the Administration Building ,where dormitory rooms, dining facilities and classrooms are available. Besides the Camp Director appointed by the Bishop, there is a Camp Priest each week who attends to the spiritual needs of the children. Counselors and workers provide daily supervision. The atmosphere of the monastery grounds provides an ideal atmosphere for the variety of religious, sports, social and cultural activities that occur at camp.
Summer Camp Activities at New Gracanica Monastery include:
- Religion and heritage classes
- Serbian language classes
- Arts and crafts
- Community service event
- Bonfire with ćevap picnic
- A day at the pool
- Great America
- Candle Light dinner with speakers
- Talent show, and lots more!
Guiding Principles of Summer Camp at New Gracanica Monastery
- Integrate the child into the life of the Church through the life of the camp;
- Instill into the hearts and minds of our Serbian children, the religion, heritage and traditions of our Serbian Orthodox Church;
- Learn how to apply this faith to their lives and to practice it within the fellowship of community living;
- See God’s world as a beautiful gift, to be appreciated and used in a good way;
- Enable campers to meet children from other church school communities and learn how to get along;
- Promote good health habits such as cleanliness, enough rest, proper diet, safety, wholesome exercise and respect for the body as God’s;
- Instruct that one is responsible for one’s own decisions; to teach effective leadership skills.